Planning Compliance Officer
- Permanent full-time
- $69,671 - $80,370 pa plus super and RDO
Located at the geographical centre of Victoria, within one hour's drive from Ballarat or Bendigo, and just two hours from Melbourne sits Central Goldfields Shire Council. Maryborough is the major business centre surrounded by seven townships that feature iconic heritage architecture. Agricultural industries spread across the municipality, and there are several major manufacturing, infrastructure, freight, printing and food production companies that call us home.
We are a dynamic organisation with a visionary and engaging executive, that look to put value into what we do for our community, residents and business.
- Community and Customer Focussed
- Collaborative and Inclusive
- Challenge the Status Quo
About the role
The Central Goldfields Shire Council is a diverse and flexible environment that offers a range of career opportunities where you will have the opportunity to make a real difference to the local community and our people. Our vibrant and inclusive team is what makes the Shire an enjoyable and rewarding place to be.
We celebrate all diversity and strongly encourage emerging leading planning compliance practitioners to consider working for a Local Government organization that values who you are. Bring your skills, knowledge and commitment to a team that is welcoming and enthusiastic about you joining us!
The position sits within the Infrastructure, Assets and Planning Department reporting to the Coordinator Compliance. This position works alongside Council's Planning, Building, Environmental Health and other relevant departments as needed.
In addition, the Compliance Officer will administer rostering and support to Councils School Crossing Supervisors.
The Shire is seeking a compliance officer with knowledge or experience within statutory planning, building and public health processes. We would welcome anyone who is interested in compliance with qualifications or experience in planning or building to apply.
Once successful, the appointee will:
- Make recommendations on planning compliance matters and other related matters under consideration to senior Council Officers
- Provide advice to the general public and others on compliance and associated issues in a timely manner
- Act as an Authorised Officer of the Council pursuant to various legislations
- The freedom to act is not limited simply by standards and procedures
- The role includes Supervision of School Crossing staff; such as managing timesheets; training; roster allocation and application of funding grants
Skills and experience:
- Broad knowledge of municipal requirements relating to planning compliance, local laws and other relevant regulations, codes and standards
- A proficient, theoretical and practical knowledge of planning and associated legislation is required
- Proficiency in the use of a range of investigation/research techniques to assemble information and/or evidence
- Excellent communication skills (especially verbal) and a positive approach to negotiation and resolution of conflict
- Ability to read building plans, planning permits and other technical documents
- Investigative skills, including interviewing and negotiating
- Ability to understand, interpret and implement legislation
- Experience in compiling briefs of evidence for review by the Coordinator
What we offer you:
We are open to discussing the possibility of flexible working arrangements including part-time hours and flexible start and finishing times that work for both you and the organisation. You are welcome to discuss these opportunities at the interview.
We offer a great salary, excellent growth opportunities and the ability to really influence the future of our council and its surroundings. If this sounds like you, be part of an innovative and committed council and apply today!
For enquiries, please contact Mark Jennings, Coordinator Compliance, on 0429 016 365
Applications close on Monday 21 June 2021 at 5pm